Author Topic: How 'Bout Them Dodgers?  (Read 2507 times)

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
Re: How 'Bout Them Dodgers?
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2018, 09:51:29 pm »
Pitchers and catchers report in 108 days. Who will be there?

old

• is not much of a talker
« Reply #48 on: October 27, 2018, 04:42:30 pm »
Okay - anyone else stay up for that nail biting thriller?

I'm not a baseball person... BUT ... turned on the 10pm Fox news around 10:37 just to find out who won.... and the game was still going, and couldn't tear myself away until the end and think I might BE a baseball person now! 2 hours of nail biting from then till the end!

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #47 on: October 27, 2018, 01:27:01 pm »
I have to admit, I was awake, not awake after the 8th. But got the important replays on the Dodger channel.

Gemini

• Administrator
  • is a non-stop talker
  • dolce far niente
« Reply #46 on: October 27, 2018, 09:12:32 am »
The wife tried to watch the game to the end but didn't make it.

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #45 on: October 27, 2018, 08:50:11 am »
Okay - anyone else stay up for that nail biting thriller?

So, my question is, if you went to a local watering hole to watch the came (back east) and the bars close by 2, but the game didn't end until 3:15, did the bar stay open? Of did everyone have to rush home to see the end?

Go Blue! LADetermined.

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2018, 04:50:36 am »
Yeah, I'm kinda resolved. They like playing at home though.

Gemini

• Administrator
  • is a non-stop talker
  • dolce far niente
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2018, 08:58:34 pm »
It's going to be tough.  :-X

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2018, 08:33:01 pm »
BLUE.

DETERMINED.

Not yet done.

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2018, 09:32:43 pm »
What'd I tell you about that Buehler kid back in May? Special. Go Blue!

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2018, 02:46:15 pm »
So the Dodgers went to Giant stadium and a football game broke out. One more tomorrow to determine NL West.

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2018, 09:31:46 am »
But no stress to a Dodger fan . . .  NOOOOOOOOO. Go Blue!

Gemini

• Administrator
  • is a non-stop talker
  • dolce far niente
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2018, 07:16:54 am »
Dodgers clinch wild-card playoff berth with win over Giants, will go for NL West title

If this is just a brief stopover on his way to untold riches, it will probably go down as Manny Machado’s biggest hit with the Dodgers.

Machado drove an RBI triple off the scoreboard in right field to break a tie in the eighth inning Saturday afternoon, sparking the Dodgers to a 10-6 victory over the San Francisco Giants in a game that threatened to send the Dodgers into the final day of the regular season with their postseason ticket unpunched.

Instead, the win guaranteed the Dodgers will be playing in the postseason for a sixth consecutive fall and eliminated the St. Louis Cardinals from playoff contention.

“This ain’t over. This is just a little tease,” Machado said as champagne and beer flowed in the post-game locker room — despite the Dodgers’ status as division winners or wild card being very much undecided.

“It just got the team rolling. Nothing special. I did what I’ve always been capable of. They brought me over here to be in those situations and this is just the beginning of it.”

It’s definitely not the end. The National League West title will be decided on Sunday.

If the Dodgers complete a sweep of the Giants (their first in San Francisco since 2014) and the Rockies lose again on Sunday, the Dodgers would win their sixth consecutive division title and have home-field advantage in an NL Division Series against the Atlanta Braves beginning Thursday.

If the Dodgers lose and the Rockies win, the Dodgers would head to either Chicago or Milwaukee (the Cubs and Brewers also enter Sunday deadlocked) for a wild-card playoff game on Tuesday.

If the Dodgers and Rockies both win or both lose, there will be a one-game playoff on Monday in Los Angeles to decide the division winner and relegate the other team to wild-card status.

“It hasn’t been easy,” Dodgers starter Clayton Kershaw said. “We’ve kind of been in a dogfight all year with the Diamondbacks and the Rockies.

“You know, this game in particular just kind of showed the kind of team that we have. It’s never good when I’m a better hitter than I am a pitcher. That’s what it was today. For these guys to pick me up like they did today — I think we had 18 hits today — it’s just really special to be a part of.”

Kershaw has certainly done his share of heavy lifting — particularly against the Giants at AT&T Park. Going into the game, Kershaw was 13-4 with a 1.58 ERA at AT&T Park. But the Dodgers handed him multi-run leads twice in his five innings. He let both get away.Joc Pederson and Yasiel Puig led off the first and second innings with home runs to make it 2-0. Kershaw gave it back in the third on a two-run single by Joe Panik.

But the Giants tied it 5-5 with two runs in the fifth off Kershaw. It was only the second time in his 22 career starts at AT&T Park that the Giants had scored more than two earned runs against Kershaw.

“He just wasn’t as sharp across the board,” Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said.

The Dodgers had opportunities to regain the lead but went 2 for 10 with runners in scoring position over the first seven innings, stranding 10 in all including the bases loaded when David Freese lined out to end the seventh.

It looked like they would waste another opportunity in the eighth. Chris Taylor led off with a single and moved to second on a wild pitch while Justin Turner flew out and Max Muncy popped out.Acquired in exchange for five players in a July trade with the Baltimore Orioles, Machado has not had the offensive impact the Dodgers expected. He has batted .269 since the trade with an OPS nearly 150 points lower than his .963 mark with the Orioles. September has been Machado’s worst offensive month of the season.

“He’s had some big hits for us, he really has,” Roberts said. “The expectations coming over here were very high.

“We said it in the beginning, no one person has the ability to carry a team, in my opinion. I still think the production he’s had, the shortstop play — he’s been everything we wanted. And there’s still a lot of baseball left. His presence to be out there there every single day has a lot of value. The raw numbers, average or whatever people look at — there’s been big hits and consistent defense to help our pitching staff. I hope that doesn’t go unnoticed.”

With a chance to clinch a playoff berth for the Dodgers in the eighth, though, he drove a 1-and-2 pitch from Giants reliever Mark Melancon to the opposite field. The ball hit high off the wall and bounced away from Hunter Pence for an RBI triple.

“Not the game-winning hit. I got us going,” Machado said. “I was just trying to do as much as I can to get him in from second — a bloop hit, whatever it is.”

The Dodgers broke the game open with four runs in the ninth. Seven consecutive batters reached base after there were two outs. Chris Taylor drove in one run with a single, Max Muncy two with a bloop double and Cody Bellinger another with an infield single — the Dodgers’ 18th hit of the game.

“We’re one of 10 teams in the playoffs. That’s an exciting thing,” Kershaw said. “It’s a special moment to make the playoffs. I alway say you never know when it might be your last one. We might have a chance to do this again tomorrow. But if not we’re looking forward to what we’ve got ahead of us.”

https://www.sbsun.com/2018/09/29/dodgers-clinch-playoff-berth-with-win-over-giants/

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2018, 03:11:57 am »
4 pitchers is not a no hitter! Look up Sandy Cofax!

Yes, it is. It's called a combined no hitter and is considered just as difficult, if not more, as a single man no hitter, as the bullpen pitchers are cold when they come on. Think about it - four men had to be perfect tonight, not just one hot pitcher. There have only been 12 in history.

And to look up to the no hitter King, you'll have to look to Nolan Ryan, not Sandy. Watch this Walker Buehler kid - he may turn out to be something special.

Lucky, I never hit play on one of your YouTube posts.

Lucky

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2018, 11:03:00 pm »

Lucky

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2018, 10:57:47 pm »
4 pitchers is not a no hitter! Look up Sandy Cofax!

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2018, 09:57:06 pm »
Combined no hitter tonight - first in Dodger history, which kinda blew my mind. Go blue.

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2017, 09:27:42 pm »
Or the Yankees.

Great series, one for the books for sure. This is a young team, with a couple exceptions. Next year!

Darvish is a free agent now; will be interesting to see if anyone picks him up. Chokes a little too much in a big game, in my opinion.

RookieMtnGoat

• is a non-stop talker
  • Do no harm. Take no shit.
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2017, 09:18:08 pm »
Better Houston than the Angels.

Gemini

• Administrator
  • is a non-stop talker
  • dolce far niente
« Reply #31 on: November 01, 2017, 08:59:53 pm »
 :(

RookieMtnGoat

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2017, 07:08:01 pm »
Nope. Not clicking any link at this point...

Lucky

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 07:05:32 pm »
 :D
&t=284s

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 06:50:41 pm »
NEVER GIVE UP.

Go Blue.

Gemini

• Administrator
  • is a non-stop talker
  • dolce far niente
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 06:12:00 pm »
Houston...er...LA, we have a problem.  ???

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 01:37:32 pm »
Proud of you. #ThisTeam.

RookieMtnGoat

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 11:29:00 am »
I'm not even a Dodgers (or even baseball) fan, but here is my kitchen window...

Go Blue!

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2017, 09:23:56 pm »
BLUE BOOM! No doubt. #ThisTeam.

And my boy JocPop.  :-*

Gemini

• Administrator
  • is a non-stop talker
  • dolce far niente
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2017, 08:44:40 pm »
Game 7!

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 07:45:18 pm »
From a Burbank Police Department tweet. The ump was awful, and was the proverbial water cooler fodder across So Cal today, if not further. I have faith! So it will be Dodgers in seven, instead of six.

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2017, 10:38:28 pm »
Here's another - Alex Wood’s outing (5.2 no-hit innings) is the longest no-hit bid in World Series history by a Dodger pitcher, eclipsing the previous record of 4.2 innings by Hall of Famer Sandy Koufax in Game 1 of the 1963 World Series.

And we have to remember that these old stats were kept at a time when we didn't have computers to record and crush through every little bit.

CatsMeow

• is a non-stop talker
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2017, 10:11:15 pm »
Blue!

Kershaw tomorrow, and my boy Joc hits another big one.

My brother (who once played semi-pro) says that baseball is a game of stats. "Cody Bellinger is the youngest ever to hit two doubles in a World Series game." Who keeps track of these things?!?!?  :P